Monday, March 3, 2008

Ugly Duckling

"But the Lord said to Samuel, 'Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.'" 1 Samuel 16:7

What a great verse! The Lord says so much in these few sentences he spoke to Samuel. This verse was a constant reminder of God's love for me, no matter what I looked like on the outside. Somehow this verse got covered up by a lot of the material things in my life. I began caring about what others thought of me by changing the way I looked. I changed my hair and actually took time (too much time) fixing it every morning. I began wearing more make-up to cover up the things I didn't like about myself. Of course, I am not going to go back to what I was before by not caring about myself and my appearance. I think it's okay to fix your hair and put on make-up. The only problem is when it becomes more important to you than anything else. 

God does not worry Himself with the way we look, so why should we? He only cares about the heart. If we are right with the Lord, our appearance doesn't matter to Him.

Be careful when you begin judging people by their appearance. I am sure you had a time in your life when you were the one being judged (MS/HS?). Stop. Think before you speak. What really matters?

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14 

No comments: